Friday, March 11, 2016

Eye Spy Eye Candy

This month I am hosting the Eye theme Component of the Month challenge. I hope some of you will join us in creating for the reveal, and the rest of you will tune in at the end of March to see how everyone has been inspired by the mystical orbs we call eyes.

Why eyes?  Well, when I started beading (and collecting beads), some of my first favorite beads were lampwork "pimple" beads...my mom's term for bumpy.  After awhile, I realized that these beads have a rich history dating way back to the very first glass beads ever created.  Spotted, dotted, and bumpy beads were made in emulation of an eye, and worn as amulets of protection against the "evil eye".  The eye has been a symbol incorporated into so many cultures and religions through out our history, it is almost as pervasive as beads themselves!  As a bead history buff, this just delights me!  You might think of the "evil eye" as an obsolete phrase, or something that people just don't believe in anymore.  To make this concept relatable for myself, I think of the "evil eye"  as "negative self talk" - that cycle of reliving things that didn't go right, bad feelings, or even anxiety and depression.  If you think of the eye as a symbolic reminder to give yourself a break, that nobody is perfect, but that you are looking out for your own health and well being, you are embracing the intent of these protective amulets.

Today I thought I would share a bit of eye candy with you, from my own collection (read as Hoard).  I hope you enjoy, and are as inspired as I am!  I can't wait to play with all this and see where the eyes take me!
Czech glass eye cabochons, both vintage and modern (all from TeapotsandTelephones).  Multi eye bead, tiny eye beads, and funny face bead, all India lampwork (all have been in my stash for years).  Various other vintage glass eye cabs, unknown origin.  Peruvian ceramic eyes...OMG why do I have SO MANY of these!?!?!
Large Turkish Nazar eye - about 5 inches across, I got this years ago from a bead store I worked at.  Amulet necklace by me, small Nazar (gift from a friend's trip to Turkey) with vintage metal "eye ball" charms, on an enameled Nazar chain.  Can I have 100 more feet of this please?
Lampwork eyes by Knoxville artist Jo Marie of the Smoky Mountain Firecrackers Lampwork Guild. Dragon Eye tiles by Jan Onipenco.  Pewter eye from Turkey, Bronze and spinel eye coin and hamsa by Cynthia Thornton/Green Girl Studios, green patina copper Greek Mykonos eye, Create Milagro pendant by Jenny Davies Reazor.
When I first got that pewter eye from Turkey, I made a silicone mold of it and pulled a few polymer clay cabs...they are so much fun to decorate with metallic and iridescent powders.  This necklace is the result of one of the finished cabs - I love how the matte beads make a bed that the eye really shines out of, and the blue "eyelashes" pull in the blue of the necklace spacers.  Man, I really want to make more necklaces like this now!

There are so many awesome art bead and component options out there that haven't made it into my collection yet.  Here is just a small sampling:
Tascidesigns, JanelDudleyBeads, Karenelmquist, aStudiobytheSea, TinkerTiles, Jeniferlake, TurnerRoweGlassArt, PowersArtStudio, Fionaskissfan.
Fantastic wheel thrown ceramic eyes by Kristie of Artisan Clay on Etsy and Facebook.  These are available Made to Order, and aren't they fabulous?  Handcast pewter charm pairs by Inviciti.
Thependantemporium, TheSpiritTreasures, SoulSilver, NaOsGlass, beadfreaky, oscarcrow.  

Eye hope this has inspired your muse!  Thanks for Looking!   

1 comment :

  1. Wonderful post! Thank you. I loved seeing all those different eye beads.

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.