Monday, May 23, 2016

A Pottery Adventure

I was a bit stuck over what to write about this week. I've not touched anything bead or jewellery related for a while, so I thought I'd share some of what I've been up to while not making beads. About 3 years ago, I acquired a pottery wheel. Every so often I would sit down and have a go and when beautiful pots didn't appear before my eyes I would put a board on it and it would go back to being a table.

My wheel
Here it is looking unusually clean! Can't say the same for the surrounding area... I'm a messy worker!

It's been a dream of mine since I was young to have a wheel, but each time I sat down, I got the feeling that the time wasn't right and I'd give up and pack it up again. A couple of weeks ago, I moved it to the other side of the shed where it was a bit more accessible and tried again... something clicked and I managed to make a few things I was nearly happy with.

Wedged clay ready for throwing

Throwing the clay down

Centering

Opening up to create the base

Lifting the walls

Tidying up

Cut off the wheel

I'm not quite up to making a matching set yet, but I like different!

Drying overnight so they're ready to trim

It's great to finally feel like I'm getting somewhere!

So with my new found confidence, I decided to try out some mugs. I've been mad for carving recently, (it all started with Lindsay's Eye challenge when I made Egyptian eye cabochons) and wanted to try the technique out on a larger scale. So after trimming my pots, I carved the design on to them and pulled some handles.

Action Shot - Trimming the foot

Scoring the design

Carved and smoothed

Extruded sausages ready to pull handles

Curving the handles

This is the first one drying out ready for a bisque firing.

Waiting to fire. 

Still a bit wobbly, but getting closer to looking just like a real one!

I'll be working on the rest of them this week... hopefully I won't mess them up in the glaze firing!


20 comments :

  1. Caroline, you are following my dream. I always wanted to work on a wheel but never had the chance. You mugs look awesome and I can't wait to see the finished pieces. Love the carving you did on the first one. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Attempt, will you be glazing them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking fab!!! Especially loving the carved mug. I've been enjoying Simon Leech's YouTube videos on throwing recently, picked up alot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow Caroline, your mug and pots are wonderful, keep showing us your progress
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow... I'd say you totally scored with these. That mug is absolutely amazing and adorable. I'd drink my cherished coffee from.it .... Would love to see them all finished and glazed too. We never know if we never try right? So.keep playing, experimenting, and trying. I think you're on to something great! !!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone :) They will be glazed Divya, not sure how yet though, they're in for a bisque firing so I'll decide when I see if they've survived! And I love Simon Leech's videos Kat... I bet he's great fun to work with!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! I love the carving and smoothing results...can't wait to see everything glazed :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking great! I'd drink my tea outta that mug.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing wobbly about this at all. Is it funny that this makes me want to throw too? Ironic since I teach throwing to my students but always handbill. LOL. Maybe its your hare motif - since we know I adore it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Uh-oh....Caroline, meet Mugaholic! Sure hope you'll show us when they're done...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seems like hard wwork, but I am glad you get to follow yet another dream. The mug is looking great dont forget to share the completed piece please.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! Nice to get rolling, isn't it!

    I really want to get a wheel for my dad - maybe get him interested in clay again, but they're so expensive! Then I found out through my brother, who is a police liaison for a middle school, that his school had several kickwheel style ones that the custodian thinks they threw away! OH, THE HUMANITY!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love that mug! Can't wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice one! I love that carving. Hope they turn out okay after the firing cause I can't wait to see them! Will they be for sale? Claire x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire, hoping so... once I've worked out what to do with them! :)

      Delete
  15. Love it - makes me itch to get back to the wheel!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh wow loving the rabbit,I have to say I really want to have another go at throwing. Billie's inspiring me too, she is doing so well with her throwing at college.
    Well looks like you've got the knack if it now!!
    😊

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you again everyone... I will share pics when they're finished. Fingers crossed they turn out well :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Es una taza maravillosa.
    ¡Gran trabajo! :)

    ReplyDelete

We would love to hear what you have to say, please leave a comment.